Have I told you that in just 4 days I will be boarding a plane with 5 other lovely ladies and spending the weekend in Marbella? To say I am excited would be an understatement. I’ve not been on a proper girlie holiday since BC (before children). There has been much banter about all the fun to be had and I have spent far too much on holiday ‘essentials’ in preparation already. But I just had to have that gorgeous sarong that my pal Kate wrote about in her fashion blog. And it’s been years since I brought a new bikini… In all honesty though, this mini break has given me a new lease of life. I have thoroughly enjoyed having a reason to treat myself and make an extra effort with my appearance. For me this trip is more than just a few days away, it signifies getting a little bit of Fleur back. Don’t get me wrong I love being a Mummy, but my goodness it is hard work. I need a bit of me time that is more than just the occasional soak in the bath.
One thing I won’t be conforming to however, is the famous, ‘no carbs before marbs’ rule. I’m too much of a foodie to cut out carbs and am currently training for a half marathon in the autumn. Well, that’s my excuse anyway. So in celebration of ‘carb happy meals’, I present to you my lemon and prawn green risotto. You could even serve it with some ciabatta bread like me and have a double dose of carbs! I just can’t resist warm bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a side option.
Inspired from a recent trip to a local farmers market where I brought asparagus, broad beans and fresh peas. These ingredients screamed summer risotto to me, so dinner was planned before I’d even said goodbye to the fruit and veg man. Make this in the week as a healthy family dinner or prepare at the weekend and serve with a crisp green salad (and ciabatta) to make it dinner party worthy.
Top tip: risottos take a lot of stirring so my advice is to delegate this role to an unsuspecting family member or guest. Tell them it will just be for 5 mins.
|Lemon and Prawn Green Risotto|
- 50g butter
- 130g asparagus
- 1 onion chopped
- 300g mixed peas and broad beans
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of chopped fresh mint
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 400g Arborio rice
- 50g grated parmesan
- 300g cooked prawns
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Steam your beans, peas and asparagus and put to one side
- Melt your butter in a large casserole style saucepan and add the chopped onions. Cook for 2-3 mins on a medium heat until soft
- Add rice and stir until it is coated with the onion and butter
- Now start adding your stock bit by bit. Add more once the rice has soaked in the stock. Keep doing this for about 15-20 mins until all the stock has gone. Test the rice and if it is not quite done make up a little bit more stock and keep going with the adding and stirring
- Now add all the remaining ingredients of lemon, mint, steamed vegetables and prawns. Stir for 4-5 mins until all heated through.
- Serve straight away and enjoy with a salad and/or ciabatta This will be my entry into the Simple and in Season blog challenge that I am hosting this month. Big thanks to Ren from Fabulicious Food for letting me babysit her challenge this month.